- About Zodiac Seats France
SICMA (Industrial and Commercial Society of Aeronautical) was founded on October 19th, 1944 by Mr. Robert Georges Maréchal. The company began its activities with tank assembly and upholstery of planes wings (Dassault).
In the 60s, SICMA sets up an assembly line for cabins Alouette (military helicopter), and works then in subcontracting on plans of the Mirage III from 1959 till 1984. The company also creates metal and plastic skis workshop then water-skiing, all known under the brand “SIM’S“ during more than a decade (brand with which JC KILLY walked away with 3 gold medals during the 1968 winter Olympic Games).
Up to the 70s, SICMA turns gradually to a specialization in the aeronautics as subcontractor. It makes passenger and pilot seats for Bloch (that will become Dassault Aviation), banisters luggage rack, rest post for crews and other cabin development for Air France and Lufthansa.
With the new airliners marketing such as Caravelle (1st airliner with short and medium haul), Douglas DC 9 then Concorde, SICMA is getting specialized in conception and manufacturing passenger seats.
The years 1970 / 1990
In 1971, SICMA changes its corporate name and becomes Sicma Aero Seat. With this new identification, it takes place as specialist among the most important seats manufacturers in the world.
In 1977, Sicma Aero Seat opens its first subsidiary in the USA: SICMA AMERICA, to get closer to the American market and notably to the aircraft manufacturer: Boeing.
In the 80s, the production explodes and the exports market expands considerably. Sicma Aero Seat concretizes its positioning on passenger seats market and manages its production towards upscale seats.
In 1987, the company opens a new unit for crew seats manufacturing (hostess, pilot…) "rue de Verdun" at Issoudun.
In 1993, Sicma Aero Seat joins ZODIAC, world number 1 in the aeronautical domain. It keeps improving its productive potential by employing more staff, by investing in new equipments (fire test lab, dynamic static and cyclic test bench) and by installing new premises at "La Limoise”.
The years 2000
In the 2000s, Sicma Aero Seat gathers many sectors such as R*D, assembly, bench test, quality to allow a higher flexibility and facing their products evolution. It invests in a new manufacturing equipment such as FMS "Flexible Manufacturing System": machines with digital controls which integrate all the last technologies for the high speed machining “UGV ".
In 2001, the company opens a subsidiary in the Middle East, in Dubai, baptized Sicma Aero Seat MIDDLE EAST.
In 2004, the headquarters joins the site of "La Limoise". Sicma Aero Seat is composed by 5 facilities among then 4 in Issoudun.
In 2005, Sicma Aero Services sets up numerous support centers are implemented around the world: Germany, Brazil, China, the United Arab Emirates, the USA…
In 2006, Sicma Aero Seat obtains certifications EN 9100.
In 2007, a new production unit it established in Tunisia, today specialized in thermoforming, sewing and sheet metal working.
In October, SICMA was present on the first A380 commercial flight with F/C seat made for Singapore Airlines.
In 2008, ZODIAC changes its name to: ZODIAC AEROSPACE. In October, SICMA becomes a society on "seat" branch on the "cabin interior" segment of Zodiac Aerospace group.
Sicma Aero Seat obtains certification ISO 14001, which concerns our environmental politic.
In 2009, SICMA Aero Seat was finalist to the Crystal Cabin Award with its subsidiary, the SiT, in the category "Entertainment & Communication".
- SOMECO, subcontractor dressing merges with SICMA.
- The Cirrus won the "Honourable" mention in the Red Dot Design Award in Germany. It has also been the finalist of the Crystal Cabin Award in the category "Passenger Comfort".
- The SiT comes a subsidiary of SICMA Aero Seat.
- In October, SICMA was present on the first B787 commercial flight with economy and business seats made for ANA.
In 2012 :
- The capital of the company has changed to 20 000 000 €.
- SICMA Aero Seat increases its surface for assembly lines and reorganises some of its activities:
* An assembly line for the economy seats is set up in a new building (+ 1500 m²).
* The customer support with the repair station, the spares front & back offices, the AOG and the spare parts shipment departments move and are gathered in new facilities (2100 m²).
- SICMA’s product “The Cirrus”, business class seat, has been recognized throughout the Cathay Pacific Award as the “World Best Business Class Seat”.
- Since the 1st September, 2012 SICMA Aero Seat becomes ZODIAC SEATS FRANCE.